Monday, June 25, 2012

How To Create No-Sew Burlap Flowers

Christmas Story...it's a classic.  The disgusted look on the moms face when her husband opens the box marked "Fragile." (Chuckling at his pronunciation of, "Fragillay")


Every time I look at our floor lamp on the family room, the shape of the lampshade reminds me of this lamp.  (Well, minus the whole black fringe, fishnet stockings and black pump.)  I found this drum shade at Marshals on clearance and knew immediately that it would be the perfect update to the lamp.

Here is a good before shot for you:


Tylar's Version of a Leg Lamp

With the help of a hot glue gun, this clearanced drum shade received a complete makeover.  It took a few tries to get the burlap flowers looking like...well, flowers.  My first flower was given 3 little thumbs down.  (That means my kiddos did NOT think first burlap flower resembled a flower.)  By the second try, I had it down!  

Here is how you can make your own burlap flowers.  These can be hot glued to lamp shades, pillows, and even canvas...possibilities are endless!


Materials:
  • strips of burlap (about 1"-2" by 12" long)
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • burlap circle (cut to size of flower you desire)


How To Make Burlap Flower:
  • Holding your burlap strip in hand, fold strip in half (length-wise).

  • Roll the burlap several times on one end to create the center of your rose/flower.

  • As you continue to roll, use beads of hot glue to fasten the rose petals to the center.  (Note:  To create the look in some of my flowers, I twisted the burlap so the folded side was up and then down.  This gave the flowers on my lamp shade a more varied look.)

  • Continue rolling the burlap around itself until you reach the desired size of flower.
  • Using the hot glue gun, secure burlap to the burlap circle you cut earlier.  
  • Trim excess circle if needed.  
  • To make larger flowers, use another burlap strip and continue rolling.


  • Next you can apply the flower to your surface using a generous amount of hot glue.





And that's a lamp I think even Ralphy would be proud of!  What have you done lately with your hot glue gun?  As always, I would love to hear.


Linked up to:  Thrifty Decor Chick

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!!! I am a cardmaker and STILL try to make roses...for gods sake it is the hardest, for me, to do!! Love this! I know it is just rolling, twisting and whatever, but I do mine like this now from my friend Trisha:alittleshabbychic on you tube...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNnYMpqo2vw

    thank you for showing this!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete